Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tomato Theif

So early spring I started some tomato plants inside our house. Once the weather warmed I was able to move them outside and watch them flourish on our deck by the warmth of the sun. It has been fun watching them....and when I say watching, I mean it...like a hawk. Kaden has constantly been curious of the green tomatoe's hanging on the vine. The first two got to a decent size, but were both picked prematurely by my eldest son. Not to worry they did rippen on the window ledge in the kitchen...but oh how I was watching this third one...this was going to be the tomatoe that turned red on the vine.
Yesterday, both the boys were taking turns grasping at my prized fruit. It was a constant battle to keep them from picking it...Ethan kept saying, 'ball' as he would reach for it. I told Kaden that he had to wait till Wednesday to pick it. That was yesterday, Monday.
So this morning I came outside to check on my tomatoe and it was GONE! Are you kidding me.....I interrogated each family member extensively ...even the dog. Not a word as to what happened. It's a mystery......a sad, sad mystery!

5 comments:

Karen Frank said...

That's when you get to remind everyone that "God sees everything!" Sorry you missed out on the joy of watching your tomato turn red!!

Anonymous said...

That's terrible. Perhaps a raccoon took it? Time to set up a security camera to monitor your tomato plants! LOL

Anonymous said...

I wonder what took it? I'm sorry you didn't get to pick it. At least you got the other two =)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, bu this is just the beginning of "nobody did it!"- if I had weeks on end, Ito could list "mysteries" - never solved:)
Your house looks so cute! we MUST get down to see you!!
carla

Gini Roskam said...

Lisa..several years ago I tried to grow tomatoes in containers on our porch. I got established plants from a green house in May. They actually had blossoms and tiny tomatoes on the plant when I bought it. I kept the pot inside until all danger of frost passed - which in Estes is sometime after Memorial Day! I faithfully carried water and fertilizer to the plant all summer. Finally in September (!) the four tomatoes started to turn. Katie and I had one of them and were watching the others closely. One beautiful afternoon I was enjoying a large herd of elk that was grazing in our yard....until I went out back and discovered that an elk had climbed up on our deck and had eaten the tomatoes and the entire tomato plant - leaving only a small one inch piece of stalk sticking up out of the pot. I now buy all my tomatoes at Safeway.....